2 Corinthians 3:17-18
"Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Patience

I was in DIA this afternoon/ late morning, sitting on the plane ready and excited to be in Tennessee at camp. The plane had not left the gate yet and it had already been an hour. I had a connecting flight in Charlotte that was scheduled to leave at 6pm but clearly I was not going to make that connection. Stressed and frustrated at the fact that there was nothing I could do to get this plane off the ground, I heard a small and quiet voice deep within me that said "slow down." In a panic, I get off the plane in Charlotte and join the many others on my flight who missed their connections to find out if I can get on a different flight to Tri-Cities Airport in Bristol, TN. Ticket in hand I call the girl picking me up at the airport to let her know that I would not be taking off until 10:30pm and will arrive in Bristol at 11:30. Almost in tears from frustration, I get off the phone with my Dad and that voice appears once more, "slow down." I take a deep breath in. Slow down. I was so ready to get on with my life that I barely got to enjoy the time with my family and friends as they celebrated my graduation. I barely got to enjoy my graduation myself. It is hard to slow down when there are so many things I am excited for but unless I take a breath, stop, and look around, I might miss what is happening right in front of me. The time spent in the Charlotte airport will allow me to process the fact that I just graduated from college and I should celebrate that! It will also give me time to recognize the holes in my heart left from the people whom I am leaving and will miss deeply. As I watch the sunset in orange Charlotte sky, the words echo in my head to "slow down" and enjoy the short time I have between chapters in my life. As one chapter ends and another quickly begins, the times I will have to sit and reflect will be few and far between. Thus, I will practice my patience and enjoy this layover as much as possible. E.

1 comment:

  1. You are a very wise woman Elizabeth Reeser. That was a great post! Good for me to remember too during this transition time in my life as well. Praying that you will be able to enjoy the few weeks of training and not be too rushed to get to the next thing. Love you!

    CarylMay

    ReplyDelete