I get asked about the tattoos on my wrists often. I like when people find an interest in them because I like talking about their meaning. It's a good reminder to me as well, keeps me grounded.
For those who don't know I have the phrase "Desperately Dependent" tattooed on my wrists. For me the phrase reminds me that I can't do life on my own. I need the ever present aid of The Lord to sustain me in this crazy life. I also need the help and support of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I need community and fellowship just as much as I need God. No one can do life on their own and truly thrive.
For those who don't know I have the phrase "Desperately Dependent" tattooed on my wrists. For me the phrase reminds me that I can't do life on my own. I need the ever present aid of The Lord to sustain me in this crazy life. I also need the help and support of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. I need community and fellowship just as much as I need God. No one can do life on their own and truly thrive.
As I was explaining this to some of the people I was training, one of the girls commented that when I show people my tattoos my hands are held open as if to further emphasizes my need and willingness to receive help and support. You can't be helped if you have closed fists. If you want to receive any form of aid you must open up your hands and accept it.
My tattoos continue to evolve in meaning. They started out as a reminder of my need to depend on The Lord and have evolved into my need to also depend on the body of Christ as I learn to live my life with open hands. And as I learn this lesson I am finding that life is much more bearable, and dare I say enjoyable, when my hands are open to receive help from The Lord and others. So may we all set aside our pride and unwillingness to show weakness by opening up our clinched fists and desperately depend on The Lord and those he purposefully places in our lives. E.

No comments:
Post a Comment