At the beginning of the year I changed jobs...again. I took a job as a ropes course trainer and inspector with a company called Adventure Experiences Inc. This company builds challenge courses for camps, tourist attractions, and anyone interested in having these types of elements in their possession. Our clientele are spread across the United States and beyond with the bulk of our international clients being based in Latin America. Along with building, the company also offers yearly inspections and training in the operation and safety of all the different elements of the courses which is what I will primarily be doing. With the job came a geographical move to Huntsville, TX which is just north of Houston and a short 25 minute drive from the office. Right out of the gate I was off to my first training in Baton Rouge to observe and learn all that I could about the job and get my first experience with an inspection. If it wasn't for the Polar Vortex that hit our country earlier last week it would have been a flawless trip.
This new job comes with its own unique challenges. Because of the nature of the job I will be traveling 70% of the time. I've been told I will average between 5 to 10 days at home a month with the exception of the busy season between the end of March into June when I'll be lucky to spend 1 day at home every 3 weeks. Since this is the case building any type of community or friendships in this new town will be extremely difficult and the main reason why trainers do not stay in this career for very long. But I knew this going in and do not expect to stay with this for an extended period of time past my commitment. I will have to adjust to life on the road and many nights sleeping in a bed that is not my own. The constant travel and lack of community when I do make it back home will be challenging to say the least but there are some things that I am very excited about.
I am excited to see different parts of the country and potentially travel outside of the country. I am excited for the opportunity to see different camps and learn about how they run and operate a summer camp. With that comes the potential for new friends and contacts in the youth camping world which will be a great asset to me in the future when I do enter back into the camping world full time again. This is the perfect time in my life to travel, when I am young and not tied down to anything or anyone and have great parents who will look after my dog. (Thank you so much Mom and Dad!) I have a really cool job that not many people get to do and I am excited to see what the Lord does with this and where he will lead me. I have all the possibilities before me and know that this is where I am supposed to be for the time being. I am one thankful kid!
Expect to see more pictures from my adventures at great heights and travels across the country. Till next time, E.

No comments:
Post a Comment